Congratulations on your engagement! Feeling a little overwhelmed by all the craziness that is wedding planning?? No worries, I got you! 🙌
Check out the list below to help you along your wedding planning journey. The list is pretty comprehensive so, don’t let it overwhelm you– take what you need and leave the rest!
After you get engaged…
- Take a some time to revel in that “just got engaged” feeling with your fiancé before telling anyone. Enjoy the moment!
- Announce your happy news to family and friends!
- Begin looking for inspiration via blogs, magazines, and Pinterest. I highly recommend creating a few Pinterest boards to organize your ideas.
- Head over to our blog to get the best wedding trends, tips, and freebies!
10-12 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Determine the look and feel you want for your wedding day. Choose a theme and color scheme.
- Draft your initial guest list.
- Set a budget.
- Book your ceremony site and reception venue.
- Choose members of your bridal party and ask them to be in your wedding!
- Consider signing up for a cash back program like Ebates or a rewards credit card to offset wedding costs.
- Set an ideal date and time for the wedding.
- Begin initial vendor research.
- Determine if you need wedding insurance.
- Book wedding planner and/or day-of coordinator, if needed.
- Book your photographer and videographer.
- Consider joining a Facebook group where you can mingle with other brides. You’ll get great inspiration and moral support during the planning process.
8-10 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Finalize your guest list and collect addresses.
- Determine which parts of the wedding you can DIY.
- Create a wedding website.
- Schedule tastings and book a caterer.
- Schedule an engagement photo shoot.
- Book florist.
- Book officiant. Consider having a close friend or family member officiate your wedding.
6-8 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Purchase wedding dress and accessories.
- Select tuxedo/suit style and purchase or reserve.
- Choose and purchase/reserve attire and accessories for bridesmaids and groomsmen.
- Send out save the dates.
- Create gift registry.
- Reserve any rental items you will need for your big day (table linens, tents, decor, lighting, etc.).
- Schedule tastings and book cake maker.
- Book musicians and/or DJ.
- Gather supplies and begin DIY projects.
- Research honeymoon destinations, accommodations, and activities.
4-6 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Select and purchase wedding bands.
- Purchase any decor items needed for the ceremony and reception.
- Contact hotel(s) and reserve block(s) of rooms for your guests.
- Choose and purchase flower girl and ring bearer attire and accessories.
- Continue working on DIY projects.
- Finalize honeymoon plans!
- Book transportation for bride, groom and bridal party. Book guest transportation to reception site, if needed.
3-4 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Finalize wedding day looks for you and your partner including accessories like veil, jewelry, undergarments, etc.
- Choose and purchase gifts for parents and bridal party.
- Choose and purchase wedding favors and any other guest gifts (i.e. welcome bags, etc.).
- Set-up trial appointments with make-up artists and hairstylists.Book your favorites.
- Purchase wedding stationery suite. Print invitations and enclosure cards. Stuff envelopes so they’re ready to go out!
- Create a playlist for your reception. Also, consider creating a “do not play” list.
- Determine the best time to apply for your marriage license in the municipality where you will be married.
2-3 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Wrap up any DIY projects.
- Make “getting ready” arrangements for bridal party.
- Plan bachelorette/bachelor parties with bridal party and friends.
- Begin writing vows.
- Address envelopes and send out invitations.
- Choose day-of paper goods (menus, programs, place cards, table numbers, seating chart, etc.).
MONTH OF THE WEDDING
- Begin creating a seating plan for reception as you receive RSVPs.
- Create your “must have” shot list and deliver to photographer.
- Finalize menu with caterer.
- Assemble wedding favors.
- Print all day-of paper goods, signage, and stationery.
- Purchase beer, wine, and liquor, if providing your own.
- Contact any guest who missed to RSVP deadline and give final headcount to vendors.
- Assemble day-of emergency kit.
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE WEDDING
- Finalize wedding timeline and share with vendors and bridal party.
- Determine to-dos for bridal party and helpers. Create and distribute lists.
- Finalize reception seating plan and print seating chart.
- Organize all paper goods, favors, decor, etc. Make sure everything is ready to go!
- Confirm wedding date, time, and location with all vendors.
WEEK OF THE WEDDING
- Get manicure/pedicure.
- Pick-up rental tuxes.
- Practice vows. Practice speeches/toasts.
- Confirm bridal party has everything they need for their outfits.
- Inspect and prepare all garments and accessories. (i.e. steam, press, etc.)
- Pack bags for honeymoon!
DAY OF THE WEDDING
- Be present in the moment. Relax and enjoy yourself!
- Take a moment with your parents and bridal party to thank them and tell them how much they mean to you.
- Marry the love of your life!
AFTER THE WEDDING
- Write and send thank you notes to guests.
- Leave reviews for vendors where applicable.
- Return rented tuxes and rental items.
- If you plan on changing your name, gather and begin name change paperwork.